Sunday, April 3, 2016

The World of Editing

        With production soon to be finished, it's time to begin the post-production phase. The programs I will be using consist of Adobe After Effects as well as Adobe Premiere Pro. I also may be diving into Adobe SpeedGrade a little bit as it is a new program from Adobe good for color correction and color grading. Color grading is a tool used to get the "cinematic look" or "film effect." A great source to learn how to color grade is from a Youtube channel "UglyMcGregor." Most of his videos explain film making for low budget film makers. There are also various websites that explain color grading and color correcting, yet seeing the process done in a video is much more useful in my opinion.
        Editing can make or break a film. Even with the best acting and camera movements, the editor has the final say on what enters the film and what doesn't. The editor is pretty much the closest thing to being the director as far as what the final outcome will look like. They get a massive say in what angles will portray a scene the best and how the pacing of a scene will play out. While editing can be very stressful, especially if the editor has to work with poorly shot footage, it is my favorite part of film making. Editing my film opening will be a particularly hard challenge due to the fact that I plan to sync every shot perfectly with the music I have chosen. That said, I am excited to begin this phase of the journey and can't wait to explore more about the post-production world!

UglyMcGregor Film Look:

No comments:

Post a Comment